RE: Shelving nonfeature videos

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:55:41 -0800 (PST)

Weighing in in my usual curmudgeonly way.

I would be interested in hearing the arguments for interfiling the video
collection considering that most libraries do not interfile the rest of
their collections.

It is common for libraries to separately shelve materials by format:
Reference, Periodicals, Oversize, Records, CDs, Cassettes, Microformats

Do libraries that interfile videos also interfile these materials? Why stop
with the nonfiction videos. Couldn't feature films also be classified and
interfiled? Or, interfiled with fiction?

Just a couple thoughts.

deg farrelly
Arizona State University West
deg@asu.edu

**********

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:24:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Toni Grow <growtoni@metronet.lib.mi.us>
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Shelving nonfeature videos

There has been some discussion about intershelving our nonfeature videos
(which circulate fairly heavily) with the nonfiction books. Talking to
librarians in our area has yielded mixed reactions, so I am looking for
broader consensus. The library is a medium sized stand-alone library
for
an affluent suburban community.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Toni Grow