RE: Shelving nonfeature videos

Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:22:25 -0800 (PST)

Toni,

It's a six of one, half dozen of the other kind of thing. It you interfile
videos with books (and particularly if you interfile other formats as well)
you enable patrons to find all materials on a subject in one place. If you
shelve videos separately you enable patrons to browse the video collection
as a whole and you promote the serendipity factor--while browsing patrons
find interesting things they didn't know they were looking for.
(Serendipity can work with interfiling as well, of course.) It really
depends on your service philosophy and on the size of your building.
Non-feature videos were interfiled here as part of a move to interfile
pretty much everything and get away from compartmentalized collections.
Also, our building is fairly large and the intent was to save patrons the
need to walk a half block to get the video on that subject they're looking
for. In a smaller building that may not matter as much. So take your
choice. Ideally videos can be shelved separately and you'll have a
librarian who knows the collection intimately and can provide appropriate
patron assistance. Practically, many libraries are short-staffed and see
interfiling as a way to get the stuff in one place and provide patron
assistance from one service point.

Either option, subject access vs. browsing/serendipity, will work, it just
depends on which will work better for you. That may not be a
consensus-building kind of statement, but I don't think there's a "right"
answer on this one.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library