RE: low circ of nonfiction videos in public libraries?

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:58:17 -0800 (PST)

Our circ is running is on a huge increase since we put our videos out for
the public to access. Before this year they were in a closed access area.
Also, since we upgraded our Dynix system to Horizon, stats are murder to add
up. However, before that, our circ was higher for nonfiction than fiction,
but that is because of the size of the 2 collections - nonfiction is much
larger than fiction. We are having a huge run on curriculum support titles
- whether they are designed for that, such as the Schlessinger titles, or
not, such as public tv and cable tv documentaries.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Boedicker [mailto:mboedicker@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 12:39 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: low circ of nonfiction videos in public libraries?

The recent question about weeding "The Constitution: that delicate balance"
partly because of low use left me wondering in general about low circulation

of nonfiction videos in public libraries. Our MacArthur video collection,
wonderful though it is, circs. very little despite lots of in-house
promotion. We've seen a general reduction in NF circs in the last year or
so, but a significant increase in feature film circ. A sales rep for Unique

Books told me he's seen this trend in most other public libs. in the
Midwest. Have other Videolib public librarians experienced this? Our video

collection is half features and half NF, an eclectic collection in both
categories, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get patrons to take out

NF, even with displays and good selections like Maysles Bros. docs, Ken
Burns' Jazz, 42 Up, etc. in addition to lots of instructional and travel
titles. Any comments would be appreciated!

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
mboedicker@hotmail.com
http://www.danville.lib.il.us