RE: DVD defects

Jaeschke, Myles (mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org)
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:10:46 -0800 (PST)

Tulsa City County Library
Film Librarian

-----Original Message-----
From: Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us [mailto:Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 3:18 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: DVD defects

Hi all,

I'm wondering what experience other libraries are having with defective
DVDs. We're having quite a few show up here that patrons report as
unplayable. They have no visible physical damage, but either won't load or
play for a while and then the picture breaks up. We're using 3M overlays
for security. Possible causes we've come up with: manufacturing defects,
disc/player incompatibility, playback interference from security strips on
3M overlays, instability caused by the 3M overlays. Comments on possible
causes: If manufacturing defects were as widespread as our problem seems to
indicate, we'd have heard about it by now (wouldn't we?); it doesn't seem at
all likely that DVDs would play on some machines but not on others; 3M
swears up and down that security strips shouldn't interfere with playback;
the overlays are so lightweight it doesn't seem likely they'd cause an
imbalance. So we're kinda stumped. Is anyone else having a similar
experience, and if so do you have a surefire explanation for it?

Thanks in advance for all replies,]

Peter

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian