Re: Institutional v. Home Use Video

Jan O'Neill (tconeij@tcc.vccs.edu)
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:23:03 -0800 (PST)

Gary,

When you say on-site viewing, are you including any patrons who are not
students, faculty or staff of the university? I'm asking because we are
an urban campus and some of the librarians think it is ok for our
community patrons to come in and watch videos (read feature films). The
rationale behind that is "access to information. I know most public
libraries so not have viewing stations because of PPR. Anyway, how do
you handle this? Or, if you don't have any community patrons come to
your library, how would you handle this?

Jan O'Neill
Media Librarian
Tidewater Community College
300 Grandby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
757-822-1126
757-822-1106 fax
joneill@tcc.vccs.edu

>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu 02/12/02 11:36AM >>>
Well...here's yet another topic which makes me foam at the mouth...(Mad
Dog
Handman, they call me)

The issue here isn't (in my book) whether vendors charge differentially

based on institutional market...I can see the economic impetus behind
that,
I guess. The issue is the common (intentional in most cases) confusion

spread by vendors about the need for performance rights in educational

contexts. If a vendor offers the same title at both home video pricing
and
"institutional" pricing (with performance rights, supposedly), I'm
ALWAYS
gonna go for the home video version. The fact is 100% of all
transactions
in my Media Center are either for on-site viewing or for face to face
teaching in a classroom--fair use, plain and simple. I simply don't
need
and don't want performance rights...period. I really don't mind
paying
the higher institutional price (well, I do, but I'm used to it)...it
drives
me crazy, however, when a vendor rationalizes this higher price based
on
rights that are irrelevant to me. If there's a COMMERCIAL stiplulation

that I pay higher price, I'll pay. Otherwise, home video here I
come...

At 01:02 PM 2/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Today I was searching the Facets site and found two versions of the
same
>title: a home-use video priced at $40 and an institutional video with
public
>performance rights for $90. This trend toward double-pricing has been
>increasingly evident in the market. PBS now offers both home-use and
>institutional video and will sell educational institutions either
version.
>Some other companies will not sell the home-use version to colleges at
all,
>but only to individuals. This effectively circumvents the classroom
use
>exemption for home-use- only videos.
>What do you all think about this? I'm not sure how I feel. On the one
>hand(Arab Film Distribution being a case in point), you have a
distributor
>doing important work that should/needs to be subsidized by the higher
price.
>On the other, the trend infringes on a very important and traditional
>educational right.
>If I continue to purchase home-use-only videos from PBS, as I mostly
do now,
>will I consider that short-sighted a few years down the road?
>Thanks for your input.
>Patty
>Patricia Hornbeck
>Middlebury College