Re: Institutional v. Home Use Video

Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:38:03 -0800 (PST)

Well...here's yet another topic which makes me foam at the mouth...(Mad Dog
Handman, they call me)

The issue here isn't (in my book) whether vendors charge differentially
based on institutional market...I can see the economic impetus behind that,
I guess. The issue is the common (intentional in most cases) confusion
spread by vendors about the need for performance rights in educational
contexts. If a vendor offers the same title at both home video pricing and
"institutional" pricing (with performance rights, supposedly), I'm ALWAYS
gonna go for the home video version. The fact is 100% of all transactions
in my Media Center are either for on-site viewing or for face to face
teaching in a classroom--fair use, plain and simple. I simply don't need
and don't want performance rights...period. I really don't mind paying
the higher institutional price (well, I do, but I'm used to it)...it drives
me crazy, however, when a vendor rationalizes this higher price based on
rights that are irrelevant to me. If there's a COMMERCIAL stiplulation
that I pay higher price, I'll pay. Otherwise, home video here I come...

At 01:02 PM 2/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Today I was searching the Facets site and found two versions of the same
>title: a home-use video priced at $40 and an institutional video with public
>performance rights for $90. This trend toward double-pricing has been
>increasingly evident in the market. PBS now offers both home-use and
>institutional video and will sell educational institutions either version.
>Some other companies will not sell the home-use version to colleges at all,
>but only to individuals. This effectively circumvents the classroom use
>exemption for home-use- only videos.
>What do you all think about this? I'm not sure how I feel. On the one
>hand(Arab Film Distribution being a case in point), you have a distributor
>doing important work that should/needs to be subsidized by the higher price.
>On the other, the trend infringes on a very important and traditional
>educational right.
>If I continue to purchase home-use-only videos from PBS, as I mostly do now,
>will I consider that short-sighted a few years down the road?
>Thanks for your input.
>Patty
>Patricia Hornbeck
>Middlebury College