RE: Audiovisual Weeding Policy

Carol Dunn (dunnca1@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:12:22 -0800 (PST)

Do you have a copy of the CREW guidelines?

Here's the section on AV materials:
AudioVisual Items:
Worn Out, Out of date, Rarely used, System headquarters can supply, or
Trivial
and faddish. Since many media are costly, weeding of such materials, once
acquired, must be done as carefully and cautiously as the initial selection
and acquisition.

Send me your snail mail address and I'll copy the entire
CREW guidelines and send it to you.

Regards,
Carol Dunn
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
www.findlay.lib.oh.us
Telephone: 419.422.1712
Fax: 419.422-0638

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Stuckwish, Chris
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 5:02 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Audiovisual Weeding Policy

I have been instructed to write a weeding policy for av materials.
While the primary focus is on videos, we also have audiobooks, music
cassettes and cd's as well as dvd's, and my policy must be format specific.
I am required to provide other existing av weeding policies with my
recommendations. Hopefully many of you out there have such a policy that
you can share. We are a public library but all contributions will be
greatly appreciated.

I read with interest the comments a few weeks ago on video weeding, but
didn't save them. Opinions, without a formal policy will also be welcome.

Pre-thanks to all.

Chris E. Stuckwish, AV Section Head
Jefferson Parish Library
4747 W. Napoleon