Re: Film sources "Fitzcarraldo" & "Lessons in Darkness"

Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:16:30 -0800 (PST)

Just so we don't the usual misunderstanding regarding the need for public
performance rights, I want to clarify that Marilyn doesn't say why she is
seeking them. Jessica mentions classroom use in her message, but teachers
in the U.S. don't need public performance rights to show videorecordings
in the classroom. I double-checked Marilyn's message and she's not in
Canada. I'm assuming that she was seeking the rights for something other
than classroom use, like an actual public showing. -- Kris

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Jessica Rosner wrote:

> Peter
> Marilyn has a copy of the film ( put out by Anchor Bay) but she needs Public
> Performance Rights as with MANY foreign films, those rights are NOT
> currently available in the US. When companies like Anchor Bay buy video/dvd
> rights they usually do not get PPR because they are not distributing the
> film either theatrically or non- theatrically. In such cases your only hope
> is to track down the rights holders to seek their permission. This is at
> BEST a long and difficult process. Alas Goethe houses don't have such
> rights. Their collections are intended for straight classroom use.
>
> These above difficulties are why I believe PPR is MUCH MORE TROUBLE than it
> is worth in terms of a CLASS. It could take a LOT OF MONEY AND TIME to clear
> an entire syllabus and many films like say many of those by Chaplin,
> Wenders, Fassbinder would currently be totally unlicensable . PPR is useful
> for Public Programming of different kinds but virtually impossible to get
> for an entire class.
> --
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
> 333 W 39th St. 503
> NY NY 10018
> jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: delin@zlb.de (Delin, Peter)
> > Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 04:59:49 -0800 (PST)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: Re: Film sources "Fitzcarraldo" & "Lessons in Darkness"
> >
> > Dear Marilyn,
> >
> > the Division Educational Media and Film
> > http://www.inter-nationes.de/d/film-e.html of INTER NATIONES in
> > Bonn/Germany has told me today that all german films formerly
> > distributed by WEST GLEN go to the GOETHE INSTITUTE in New York (as
> > Jessica has already stated in this list some weeks ago). But they have
> > no evidence if FITZCARRALDO is included in this collection. If not, the
> > copy can be ordered from Bonn/Germany by the GOETHE INSTITUTE New York.
> > INTER NATIONES Bonn will furnish it to New York. Please contact GI New
> > York. Here is their website: http://www.goethe.de/uk/ney/enindex.htm
> >

> > with kind regards
> > Peter Delin/Videolektorat
> > Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
> > http://www.zlb.de/index.html
> >
> > "Delin, Peter" schrieb:
> >>
> >> Dear Marilyn,
> >>
> >> INTER NATIONES http://www.inter-nationes.de/d/film-e.html , the film and
> >> video provider for all german GOETHE INSTITUTES, has the first title in
> >> 16 mm. Try to contact one of the GOETHE INSTITUTES in the US.
> >>
> >> http://www3.inter-nationes.de/in/?MIval=fzfass_e.html&in_nr=1416
> >>
> >> But I have no information if the GOETHE INSTITUTES in the US really
> >> provide this copy for rental!!
> >>
> >> With kind regards
> >> Peter Delin/Videolektorat
> >> Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
> >> http://www.zlb.de/index.html

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405