Re: German language films

Gregory Callahan (gregory_callahan@hotmail.com)
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:38:05 -0800 (PST)

In a separate correspondence I recommended such films as Marlene  (by Schell) and Nico Icon (by Ofteringer) even though they're only partially in German.

What about Cabaret?  There's some actual Deutsch used in that film, even though it remains questionable as to why the Emcee would be making bad jokes to his mostly German audience in idiomatic English ("She vas zooo beau-ti-full.  I said, 'I vant you for my vife.'  'Your VIFE?  Vot vould your vife vant viz MEEE?!' ")

To nothing of why the Hitler Youth is leading the Biergarten crowd to sing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me"  in English.  Well, suspension of disbelief and all that.

I've been enjoying this thread, even though I'm not even supposed to be on this listserv anymore.  Well, maybe I should be glad that my request to unsubscribe was ignored.

Greg Callahan

>From: delin@zlb.de (Delin, Peter)
>To: Multiple recipients of list
>Subject: Re: German language films
>Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:03:40 -0800 (PST)
>
>Dear Deb,
>
>I have forgotten one important title which in any case should not lack
>in your little collection: One, two, three (Billy Wilder, 1961)
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6301971744/qid=1012481323/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/103-6518624-9629404
>It's not a german film but a film about Germany (and about the cultural
>relations between Germany and the US) and very very funny!!! Don't miss
>it!
>
>It's a film about Berlin as a divided city before the wall (during the
>shooting programme of the film the wall was erected).
>
>With kind regards
>
>Peter Delin/Videolektorat
>Zentral- und Landesbibliothek
>http://www.zlb.de/index.html
>
>Deb Stilson schrieb:
> >
> > thanks everyone for your suggestions.....I knew about Facets, but needed
> > a list of possible titles...thanks again................d
> >
> > Deb Stilson wrote:
> >
> > > I need to purchase 10 German language films for a public library
> > > audience....any suggestions??
> > >
> > > --
> > > Deb Stilson, YA/Media Services
> > > Yakima Valley Regional Library
> > > 102 N. 3rd St.
> > > Yakima, WA 98901
> > > 509-452-8541 - fax 509-575-2093
> > > dstilson@yvrls.lib.wa.us
> >
> > --
> > Deb Stilson, YA Services
> > Yakima Valley Regional Library
> > 102 N. 3rd St.
> > Yakima, WA 98901
> > 509-452-8541 - fax 509-575-2093
> > dstilson@yvrls.lib.wa.us

Join the worldís largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here