Re: German language films

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:41:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Deb,

to get a list not of the 10, but the 100 most significant german films
you might try this website (made by the export union of german film).
http://www.german-cinema.de/magazine/index.html
Check out their journal KINO-MAGAZINE. In each issue they present a part
of a list of the best german films of all times, compiled by german film
archives in 1995 to celebrate 100 years of cinema. Please use the links
"The 100 Most Significant Films"
and "Previous Issues" beginning from 1999, Issue 3 (see link "German
Classics"). The presentation of the list containing 37 titles until now
is continued in the future.

But of course this selection is oriented towards cinema history. To
select 10 titles for a public library I would recommend the following
titles (as far as available in the US):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/162216/1/ref=br_lpsp_pg/103-6518624-9629404?

1. German cinema reflecting contemporary life:
-Run Lola run
-Winter Sleepers
-Bandits
-The inheritors

2. To german history oriented titles with a popular touch:
-Tin drum
-Mephisto
-The marriage of Maria Braun
-Aimée and Jaguar
-Das Boot

Try to get
-Trace of stones - Spur der Steine
to offer at least one title about the GDR. available on this website:
http://www.icestorm-video.com/catalogframes.html

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin