Re: experimental cinema

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:34:08 -0800 (PST)

It is very difficult to find experimental titles that are good film to
video transfers. The Angers and Derens are relatively fine but anything on
the defunct Video Yesterday label tends to be really substandard. A poor
VHS copy of a horribly lousy 16mm print does not make experimental film
appealing to scholars much less to public library patrons. Mike, this
really does need to be assembled piece meal. A good place to start is
Arthouse Inc. http://arthouseinc.com/, we bought a number of Brakhage
tapes from them. There's also Iota http://www.iotacenter.org/store/ . They
have Robert Breer, Fischinger, Len Lye and others. And you can get a video
like The Genius of Norman McLaren from the National Film Board of Canada
http://www.nfb.ca/nfbstore/ibeCZzdMinisites.jsp?_ref=/nfbstore/ibeCZzpEntry.jsp&lang=en
Have fun.

Oksana

At 03:00 PM 1/29/02 -0800, you wrote:
>There is a "series" of videos put out by Video Yesteryear which includes a
>variety of early avant-garde classics (Chien anadalou, Entr'acte, Man Ray
>stuff, etc), but I have never seen them in a box, and the random assignment of
>volume numbers suggests that many have either gone out of print or never made
>it. Facets lists them in its Visual Arts catalog. The more recent filmmakers
>(relatively speaking) like Deren and Anger seem to be available only as
>individual videos devoted to their own films (also in Facets catalog).
>
>Mike Boedicker wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a good basic set of experimental/avant garde cinema on
> > VHS or DVD? Something including representative works by the major figures
> > (Brakhage, Anger, Deren, etc), perhaps in a boxed set, for a public library
> > which has nothing on the subject? Or is this an area where a basic
> > collection must be assembled piecemeal?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > Mike Boedicker
> > Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
> > Danville Public Library
> > 319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
> > (217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
> > mboedicker@hotmail.com
> > http://www.danville.lib.il.us

>--
>John Holland
>Librarian
>Chicago Public Library
>Media Express
>(312) 747-4100

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec