Re: video approval plans?

Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:49:00 -0800 (PST)

Re video approval plans.

One word: ugggggggggggggggggggggggg!

Even if such a beast did exist (and it doesn't, particularly for
academic libraries), 20 years in this business
tells me that
leaving the selection of video up to a third party would be courting
certain disaster. It's hard enough for full-time media librarians to pull
this off...leaving it up to profit-driven outsiders would be madness.
Selection in academic libraries is a matter of weighing curricular and
research needs against market availability--that's a trick that requires
eternal vigilance, constant participation in the academic life of campus,
an intimate knowledge of both mainstream and independent filmmaking, and a
close connection to colleagues with similar collections. We ain't talking
books here...

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000