RE: Silvana Mangano?

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:15:30 -0800 (PST)

This probably doesn't help much but maybe some clues:
She was in a film called The Witches ( translated from Italian). It was one
of those multiple story films with the story she was in called the View of
the Earth from the Moon, Pasolini directed that segment. A youngish Clint
Eastwood was in it so I guess it was when he went over to do all the
spaghetti westerns - I don't know but seems possible since it has a
supernatural theme. Also, didn't Visconti do a couple of hyper slick
"modern" films about a super crook with all sorts of cool sexy outfits and
such?
T. Nicholas

-----Original Message-----
From: Madeline Copp [mailto:mcopp@jhu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 12:50 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Silvana Mangano?

Dear Video/Film Colleagues,

Are there any Silvana Mangano fans out there? A patron is trying to
identify a film where she appears in a rubber suit with things projecting
from her head (he found a black and white picture of her in this
attire). I'm guessing that the film might be _Il Disco Volante_ (the
Flying Saucer), but am having trouble verifying this (and am certainly not
sure if this is the film). For those of you who don't know (and may be
interested), she was one of the "sex-pot" divas during the 1950's and
1960's, but was in films from 1949-1987 - her contemporaries included
Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida). She was married to Dino de Laurentis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madeline

Madeline A. Copp, Resource Services Librarian
(English * Film & Media Studies * Writing Seminars * Humanities Center)
Milton S. Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218