Re: Clueless on Copyright

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:31:47 -0800 (PST)

Jessica,

I always get a good laugh (with genuine tears) when I hear distributors
(Canadian ones to be sure ) who say that a public performance is anything
that does not occur with your immediate family in your own home on your own
property. If you're watching a video in an RV parked in a campground with
friends it's a public performance!

Oksana
with the other side of the coin

At 08:08 AM 1/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
>For those of you who might want a good chuckle I was watching the
>infamous Bill O'Reilly (Conservative "man of the people") on Fox last night
>( don't ask, I just like to see what the other side is up to) . He had as a
>guest a lawyer representing three firefighters whose were pictured in a
>famous AP photo or raising the flag at the WTC ruins. There has been a
>controversy involving a statue based on the photo. As the lawyer tried in
>vain to explain that the photograph was copyrighted and permission would be
>needed to reproduce it, Mr. O'Reilly kept screaming at him that the photo
>was taken on PUBLIC property and was there for in the Public Domain. It went
>on for several minutes.
>Actually it kind of reminded me of people who tell me that they don't have
>to pay for a public screening of a film at college, Community Center, etc
>because it is educational
>
>Just thought you would get a laugh
>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8