Re: Media in Public Libraries

laroi.lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:15:10 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C199BD.A2730480

Dear Maurine:
Public libraries offer a wide variety of incentives many patrons enjoy =
but with that come many problems as well. Media in public libraries as =
numerous benefits but unless you have the staff which must include =
technicians who can remove stuck items, repair a split video frame =
without losing an important part of the film, repairing vcrs,TV/VCR =
combo units, cleaning, clerks with some technical background on showing =
patrons how to use the equipment and handle items, clear rules and =
regulations regarding use and abuse, and funding, tread carefully. I am =
in charge of an academic media center where we have more control simply =
because we are non-circulating. All items must be viewed in-house and =
college IDs are required. No ticket-no laundry as the saying goes. This =
is not to say that we don't encounter problems- we do. but we are also =
able to impact directly on a patron who may manage to walk out with an =
item. We can access their the class schedule, and even contact them at =
home, if need be. Because we have an on-line circulation system, access =
to our student patron records can be made.=20

In a public arena will you limit the amount of time a patron can use a =
carrel, either for video or recordings? And if so, what is the time =
limit?

In a public library, remember that many senior citizens enjoy their =
local library where they can=20
read the paper, look at the latest bestsellers. This latest offering =
will undoubtedly attract many more. And don't forget the school kids =
once school lets out. They will draw to this like magnets. You will have =
to have the kind of staff that can deal with this particular group. As a =
former children's librarian, I can say that I really enjoyed working =
with children. I cannot say this for many of my former staff members =
that worked with me during those years.=20

Will the carrels where video can be viewed, have headsets, and if so, =
how will patrons be allowed to get them. Another aspect to consider is =
cleaning headsets. We clean headsets everyday because=20
of the amount of hairspray and other hair products many students use. =
This must be done in any
public environment where equipment such as ours is used. Good luck.

LaRoi Lawton
Gerald S. Lieblich Learning Resource Center
Library & Learning Resources Dept.
Bronx Community College/CUNY
laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu
=20