Re: Goon Show/Alas Smith & Jones

Kate Vaux (kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au)
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:34:08 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_865385==_.ALT

Hi,

Just to clarify I think Sally wants "Alas Smith and Jones" The pun in the
title is intended. It was a UK series of sketch comedy starring Mel Smith
and Griff Rhys Jones (previously from "Not the Nine O'Clock News") and both
are alive and well....

Sorry but I don't know about avaliablity.

Kate Vaux
Media Collections
University of Melbourne
Australia

At 03:40 9/01/02, you wrote:

> _The last goon show_ is a reunion radio program recorded in the
>mid-1970's for a BBC anniversary. The show actually ran c. 1952-1960. It
>was available uncut on L.P. from BBC records. It starred Peter Sellers,
>Harry Secombe and Spike Milligan. Searching the Goon Show fan sites might
>find you a present-day source for this. The older Goon Shows are in Public
>Domain in Australia and are frequently offered over the web. The actors
>freely admitted they were usually drunk by airtime (they're absolutely
>giddy) and I don't think the reunion show holds up as well as the original
>series.
>
> _Alias Smith and Jones_ was an hour-long TV series (1971-73) from
>which a couple of episodes or a pilot movie seems to have been rereleased.
>I enjoyed it when I was a kid but one of the stars commited suicide and
>show sputtered out. See http://us.imdb.com/Title?0065381
>
> There's a curious link here in that stars from both series suffered
>from acute depression.
>
> Stephen Davies
> Mount Royal College, Calgary
> mailto:SDavies@mtroyal.ca

Kate Vaux
Media Information Librarian

Room 420
Media Collections
Level 4, Education Resource Centre (ERC) Library
The Information Division
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Australia

email : kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au

Telephone : +61 3 8344 8650 or +61 3 8344 8316
Facsimile : +61 3 9347 0974

http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/media/