Re: DVDs repair

laroi.lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:21:04 -0800 (PST)

Elise:
DVD is one of several mediums we use at Bronx CC. Our rules and regs are
simple and straight-forward with respect to the use of all items in our
media center.
Damaged items that are clearly used by more than one Instructor and students
must be replaced. Repeat offenders are advised of this policy up front.
Students and faculty are given clear instructions on the use of DVD's as
many own CD's, and burn their own music. Care is easy. We have a simple care
section in our handbook which we point out to everyone when they take out
our dvds. No matter what you buy, continued damaged will destroy the item.
It's one of the reasons I did not bother to by CDFender or the one you are
using. Because our collection is relatively small, we can check each item as
they come in for damage and or scratches. Because my budget does not allow
me the luxury of excusing a fine, we charge for the cost of the item. When
the party sees our actual invoice for the price we paid, they are keenly
made aware that taking "care" of the dvd while it is in their possession is
cheaper.
Alot of this is common sense on use, but we have found that getting the
information out to our students and faculty on how to use our items properly
has saved us alot of money and extended the life of many of our items in the
collection.

Hope this helps.

LaRoi Lawton, Director
Gerald S. Lieblich Learning Resource Center
Bronx Community College/CUNY
Bronx, NY
laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu