APEX

Carol Dunn (dunnca1@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:23:05 -0800 (PST)

Lucky me. I bought one of the first DVD Players. It is an Apex:
"Unlike other DVD players, the Apex can play DVD movies created anywhere in
the world. Regions are assigned specific numbers so, for example, DVDs
created in Region 1 -- the United States -- can only be played in that area.
But by accessing a hidden menu in the Apex player, users can turn off
regional encoding".
~~~We were just messing around with the hidden menu yesterday. I hear my DVD
player is now a collector's item!
Carol Dunn
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
www.findlay.lib.oh.us
Telephone: 419.422.1712
Fax: 419.422-0638

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jim Scholtz
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 11:37 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re:

Hi, Most DVDs released in the U.S. have a symbol stating "Region 1"
indicating DVD playability in all of North America. There are 7 regions
devised by (MPAA?)and the DVD manufactureres, primarily to forstalling
copyright infringement/copying. I'm not sure what region Europe is. Most
DVD players sold in the U.S. only play region 1 DVDs unless advertised a
multi-regional. Some DVDs are also encoded as multi-regional and will play
in any region. Additionally, there is one other concern - besides regions,
NTSC, PAL and SEACAM are still used as recording industry standards - even
digitally (at least that's what I've been told). I'm not sure how that
plays out (no pun intended) in the useability of a foreign DVD. Please let
me know if you find out. Jim Scholtz.

At 01:05 PM 1/3/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>I just received a request from a faculty member for a this product:
>
>Robbe-Grillet on DVD
>A double DVD, released jointly by Les Impressions Nouvelles and IMEC,
>provides a much fuller version of these important interviews, with a total
>running time of about 6 hrs 15 mins. It will be of particular value to
>schools, colleges and universities, resource centres, international
>cultural centres and lovers of literature in general. This interactive DVD
>will enable viewers to explore Alain Robbe-Grillet's life and work
>according to their individual interests. The accompanying booklet contains
>details of all the topics available for search.
>
>The format is only described as Digital Betacam DVD
>(http://www.lespierides.com/)
>
>Since this is produced in France, does anyone know if standard DVD players
>and workstations with DVD drives can be used, or is DVDs produced in Europe
>different (such as video cassettes and PAL or Secam formats).
>
>Since my primary function is selection of videos and DVds I'm pretty
>ignorant regarding technical aspects. Thanks so much for any information.
>
>Margaret

>G. Margaret Porter
>Librarian, Reference Department
>University of Notre Dame