Re: European DVDs

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:23:16 -0800 (PST)

Margaret,
On my bulletin board I have a clipping from the PC World magazine of
December 2001. It's a question and answer column where someone wanted to
play a British DVD movie in his PC and asked about the regional codes for
DVDs. Rather than my retyping the whole column here, I hope you can find a
copy of that magazine and look on page 204 for the question "Will it play
in Peoria?". Or for instant answers, there's info on the internet:

Want a map that shows the 6 regions?
http://www.unik.no/~robert/hifi/dvd/world.html

Here's a series of 3 articles on the About.com website. They discuss
computer DVD, code-free DVD players, bypassing or changing the codes... and
whether it's legal. The articles begin at
http://german.about.com/library/bldvd.htm, and they offer links to more sites.

And of course there are dotcom companies that advertise codefree players.
Just enter "codefree dvd" into your favorite search engine.

Hope this helps.
Marilyn Huntley

At 01:08 PM 1/3/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>I just received a request from a faculty member for a this product:
>
>Robbe-Grillet on DVD
>A double DVD, released jointly by Les Impressions Nouvelles and IMEC,
>provides a much fuller version of these important interviews, with a total
>running time of about 6 hrs 15 mins. It will be of particular value to
>schools, colleges and universities, resource centres, international
>cultural centres and lovers of literature in general. This interactive DVD
>will enable viewers to explore Alain Robbe-Grillet's life and work
>according to their individual interests. The accompanying booklet contains
>details of all the topics available for search.
>
>The format is only described as Digital Betacam DVD
>(http://www.lespierides.com/)
>
>Since this is produced in France, does anyone know if standard DVD players
>and workstations with DVD drives can be used, or is DVDs produced in
>Europe different (such as video cassettes and PAL or Secam formats).
>
>Since my primary function is selection of videos and DVds I'm pretty
>ignorant regarding technical aspects. Thanks so much for any information.
>
>Margaret

>G. Margaret Porter
>Librarian, Reference Department
>University of Notre Dame

Audiovisual Classroom Services
408 Christian A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu