Re: PPR on POs

Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:13:39 -0800 (PST)

This trick is not the result of ignorance on the part of libraries or
librarians. It stems from some misguided belief that the vendor will be
dumb enough to sell the video without correcting this language -- and that
the library will then have a defense if the video is shown in a public
performance illegally. When I came to Indiana University in the
mid-1980s, I was encouraged by more than one person in Acquisitions to try
the same thing. I flatly refused, but I was told that there was no harm
in trying. We didn't anyway, because we don't need PPR. The acquisitions
librarians had gotten the idea from colleagues discussing "the video"
problem at various conferences. These people are no longer here at IU, so
please don't forward this message to your colleagues in Acquisitions here.
I know that there are still libraries that try this approach. It's may be
a hold-over from years ago, but it's done on purpose, not because the
library really thinks that Facets sells home videos with PPR! If I want
public performance rights or I want to check on the status of a particular
title, I know how to inquire about availability. I don't rely on the
purchase order... -- Kris

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Ken Katona wrote:

> Jessica,
>
> I think that vendors and distributors need to be reasonable here. Many
> libraries don't have a good understanding of the concepts of public
> performance at all. I should think you would be pleased to have received
> a PO requesting the rights the library hopes are available. They'll
> never know what happened if you don't tell them.
>
> I suggest that you need to take some time and make a few standard stock
> letters for your files. Leave a blank in the line for TITLE etc. and
> then when this type request comes in you can indicate
>
> NO PPR for this title;
>
> YES PPR included with this title;
>
> PPR are available at the following cost: $________ . Etc.
>
> Then, as time consuming as it might be, I think you need to respond to
> potential purchasers and give them the essentials of what you can sell,
> and what it costs.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Regards and Happy Holidays
>
> Ken Katona
> AV Manager
> Cuyahoga County Public Library
> 2111 Snow Road
> Parma, OH 44134

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405