Re: Special awards screeners

Maurine Canarsky (maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us)
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:09:38 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C18863.DA4688C0

John,
Thanks very much--we'll not add it to the collection.
Maurine
----- Original Message -----=20
From: John Holland=20
To: Multiple recipients of list=20
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Special awards screeners

The answer previously was a fairly unanimous NO. These are =
manufactured purely for review purposes in advance of awards nominations =
and are not supposed to go any further than the recipient. It is the =
same with promotional copies of CD's and even commercially released =
videos - if the copy is marked as a review or preview or promotional =
copy, then it is not legal to pass it on for money or as a donation. =
Rarely do they ask for these things back, but technically that copy =
still belongs to the studio.=20
Maurine Canarsky wrote:=20

Hello Videobrains:Help!A while back there were some messages posted =
to the list about whether or not libraries could add awards screeners to =
their collections. The videos usually say "For your consideration" and =
that phrase appears on the top or bottom of the screen throughout the =
video.I cannot remember what the answer was. We have received one of =
these as a donation to the library and would like to add it. As a =
precaution, I wanted to check to see if this would violate any copyright =
laws.Thanks in advance for your help.Maurine CanarskyMedia LibrarianNoel =
Wien Public Library1215 Cowles St.Fairbanks, AK =
99701907-459-1020907-459-1024 FAXmaurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us=20
--=20
John Holland=20
Librarian=20
Chicago Public Library=20
Media Express=20
(312) 747-4100=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C18863.DA4688C0

John,
Thanks very much--we'll not add it to the=20 collection.
Maurine