Re: PPR and limits on promotion/publicity

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:03:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike, Yes it does seem rediculous doesn't it, but the law concerning
copyright approaches the rediculous sometimes. According to MPLC, you may
advertise in-house by title (this includes house organs - newsletters, etc.
but not in general public media (newspapers, television, radio - I wonder
if a web page is public? - probably.) However, you can advertise a film
program at the library with specific dates and themes, but just not mention
the titles. It is this type of contractual thinking that is weird - the
MPAA just doesn't want movie theatres to lose business - like they would
compete with public libraries?.

Jim Scholtz.

At 01:37 PM 12/17/01 -0800, you wrote:
>This has come up before, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who
>publicly shows films/videos in a library (not a classroom setting) and who
>has dealt with either Motion Picture Licensing Corp. or Modern Sound
>Pictures Inc. Both of them state that public advertisting of licensed
>films/videos is prohibited. So how is one supposed to promote the
>screenings? Is in-house publicity allowed? It seems like a ridiculous
>limitation, esp. considering the high licensing fees involved.
>
>Mike
>
>Mike Boedicker
>Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
>Danville Public Library
>319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
>(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
>mboedicker@hotmail.com
>http://www.danville.lib.il.us

Emacs!