Re: KANDAHAR

Amy Severson (ajs@sfu.ca)
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:26:46 -0800 (PST)

Rhonda;

It's been released theatrically in Canada (but not on video, of course).
You will still have to wait until it comes out in the States, but I've
enclosed some links so at least you can get the spelling of the directors
name, etc. If you can swing a field trip, it's currently playing at the
Park Theatre in Vancouver, B.C!

http://www.tribute.ca/default.asp?m_id=3589

http://www2.mybc.com/movies/movies/30110.html

http://aga.cinemamontreal.com/aw/crva.aw/c.F8F5EE/f.Kandahar/p.cm/r.que/m.Montreal/j.e/s.0/i.3375/mm.html

At 12:03 PM 12/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
>No way. It is small company called Avitar AND THEY HAVE NOT YET OPENED IN
>THEATERS. I must say Rhonda you get the most aggressive professors. Before
>they drive you crazy may I suggest that you REQUIRE them to basically PROVE
>( it if is a FEATURE FILM) that film has IN FACT been released in the US
>theatrically. In Fact I would make THEM find a NEW YORK TIMES REVIEW of a
>film before sending you out to look for it. I realize you are a good
>librarian but it is just silly to send someone out to look for films that
>either have yet to be released or that have been out for maybe a week and I
>notice they seem to do this A LOT. Basically a film SHOULD become available
>anywhere from 4 to 12 months AFTER it's release. It is true that some films
>might go straight to video an bypass theatrical but if so , you would find
>them at AMAZON, Facets, etc. Too many professors read some article in an
>academic journal ( or in the case of KANDAHAR, The New York Times) and think
>they should be able to get in on video next week. I think that onus should
>be on them to do SOME amount of research to determine IF the film is
>released in US or why they have any reason to believe it is out on video
>
>Again I am ONLY refering to FEATURE FICTION FILMS, and in most cases foreign
>films. It just drive me nuts that academics think anything ever made has to
>be on video
>
>Good Luck
>

>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: Rhonda Pancoe <rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu>
> > Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:49:17 -0800 (PST)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: RE: KANDAHARA
> >
> > Jessica,
> > Sorry for the misspelling but the prof told me it was spelled like
> that. Do
> > you know if I could rent the film and who distributes it?
> > Rhonda

Amy Severson
Learning and Instructional Development Centre
7512 Education Building
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 Canada
phone: (604) 291-4300 fax: (604) 291-4900
ajs@sfu.ca www.sfu.ca/lidc