RE: Designing the ideal library media center

Hornbeck, Patty (hornbeck@jaguar.middlebury.edu)
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:08:28 -0800 (PST)

David,

This is a great topic for me because Middlebury College is in the process of
constructing a new library that will be completed in 2003. At that time,
Media Services, and our approximately 7,000 item film/video collection, will
move to the new space.

Over the last two or three years, the library committee has spent countless
hours with the same questions you ask below, initially believing that
head-end video transmission was the way to go, and eventually rejecting it
in favor of traditional carrels. Centralized serving requires extensive
wiring, not to mention staffing, and it sacrifices -- to some degree -- a
flexible configuration. Of the top five things _we_ wanted at Middlebury,
flexibility headed the list. Accessibility, security, spaces that allow
exchange and collaboration between students, or between students and
faculty, were important considerations as well.

The committee visited a number of sites during the planning process, and
liked, among others, Wellesley College's new facility.

Good luck with your survey. I hope that you will share with us any good
ideas or insights that do not come addressed to the group as a whole.

Patty
Patricia Hornbeck
Middlebury College
Sunderland Language Center