RE: video title lists for patrons

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:07:09 -0800 (PST)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C17997.06585780

Within the City University of New York, most of the media titles are in
CUNY+ the University's online circulation system. At Bronx Community where I
am in charge of the media unit, all of our titles have been catalogued into
this system. We also are in the process of downloading the entire title list
onto our library homepage. Since we created "mediagraphy lists for specific
courses, all of our titles are course related. If a student who taking
History 10 for example which is titled History of the Modern World, needs
some background information on the causes of WWI, all he or she have to do
is look at the their course syllabus and a list of appropriate AV titles are
included in the syllabus. All Instructors are required to preview, and
approve respective titles. We also ask that they include the approved
title(s) into the course syllabus as well. This approach goes across the
curriculum here at Bronx CC. With our collection continually growing we also
loan out to the other CUNY campuses as well. The University has a media
consortium of which I am a member. Our Center has a Program Board where all
of the lists for specific courses are posted. By the end of this semester,
students will be able to go to our webpage and print out a specific list,
say History 10, Psychology 11, Math 23, if they want to do so. While our
collection is small (14,000 titles) it is growing so your concerns are not
isolated ones. We do not loan outside of the CUNY system. In our online
system, each title has a summary in the notes area as well as the call
number, credits etc. While there are cataloguing issues we are dealing with
within CUNY, many of our students have been asking for years to have the
ability to print out specific course lists. What I have done is to ask each
Instructor to incorporate our mediagraphy list appropriate to their course
as an attachment to the course syllabus. Collaborating with Instructors
across the curriculum has proven to be a good approach to print access to
our collection. Of course there are still some problems inherent with this
approach. Right now we are dealing with a paper issue since we are one of
the few community colleges within CUNY that does not charge students to
print out a document-as long as it's not a book.

LaRoi Lawton, Director
The Gerald S. Lieblich Learning Resource Center
Library & Learning Resources Dept.
Bronx Community College/CUNY
Bronx,, NY 10453
718.289.5348(voice)