Re: Fair use (again!)

Lisa Livingston (lmlivingston@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:50:04 -0800 (PST)

--============_-1205231904==_ma============

The Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia exist - are alive
and well - and are used by loads of educators and students. They do
not have the force of law - NONE of the sets of guidelines do. They
were not designed to. However, they do help individuals navigate thru
fair use in multimedia situations. Use them or choose not to. They
are meant to GUIDE.

The bottom line is that compiling clips of Saving Private Ryan is
creating a derivative work. If compiling such a large # of clips
isn't troublesome to the compiler, then it is that individual's
decision. The Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia states,
"Uses that exceed these guidelines may or may not be fair use."
However, 35 mins seems a bit much. More of a concern is placing the
derivative work on reserve. That seems to stretch the Fair Use
Doctrine to me.

Lisa

>>> http://www.indiana.edu/~ccumc/mmfairuse.html
>>> http://www3.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm
>>> http://www.adec.edu/admin/papers/fair10-17.html
>>> http://www.tifb.state.tx.us/training/fairuse.htm
>>> http://www.washington.edu/classroom/emc/fairuse.html

--

Lisa Livingston Director, Instructional Media Development School of Education, University of Wisconsin 1025 West Johnson Street, Suite 142 Madison, Wisconsin 53706 V:608.262.3431 F:608.262.6447 lmlivingston@facstaff.wisc.edu --============_-1205231904==_ma============ Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"> Re: Fair use (again!)