Re: Fair use (again!)

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:01:04 -0800 (PST)

I disagree with Gary because it would be legal to show the entire film in
class. Why not clips? Why is this any different from cueing up the
videotape or skipping around on the DVD? As long as the prof used a legal
copy for the clips, I don't really see why the convenience of putting them
on a tape should be a real problem. We're still talking about
face-to-face teaching.

I would put the entire film on reserve, just to be on the safe side. But
I don't think putting the tape with clips on reserve represents a very
serious risk. -- Kris

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Gary Handman wrote:

> I think that this definitely stretches the limits of fair use (in number,
> if not duration of clips).
>
> Putting the clips on reserve definitely steps over the bounds.
>
> gary
> At 10:28 AM 11/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hi:
> >
> >I know we've been down this road before, but I thought I'd check with you
> >before replying to one of our profs who wants to use a total of 35 minutes
> >of taped excerpts from Saving Private Ryan (169 min.) in face-to-face
> >instruction. The longest of the 7 clips is 8 min., the shortest is just
> >over 2 min. Where he got the original tape from which to take the excerpts
> >is unknown. Any copyright problem with doing this? What if he then puts
> >the tape of clips on reserve in the library for his students to use for
> >review/study/assignment purposes?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Barbara
> >

> >--
> >Barbara Black
> >Video Library
> >Information Technology Services
> >University of Colorado at Boulder
> >Stadium 343, Gate 11
> >Campus Box 379
> >Boulder, CO 80309-0379
> >
> >Voice: (303) 492-1816
> >FAX: (303) 492-7017
> >E-mail: Barbara.Black@colorado.edu
>
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
> 510-643-8566
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405