RE: Academic Libraries Funding question

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:46:16 -0800 (PST)

deg is right about the research findings in this regard. I have gathered
these data three times and all three times we found that a separate budget
for media resources/video (most institutions fund all media resources
togehter but some separate out audio and video) results in significantly
higher expenditures for media. In the aggregate, expenditures are about
three times higher. That's not to say there are not individual
differences, but if media expenditures are competing with book and
electronic resource expenditures every day, media expenditures tend to
lose out. -- Kris

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Deg Farrelly wrote:

> While I doubt this will help Stephen's case, at ASU West we do not structure
> acquisitions budgeting along formats.
>
> There is an acquisitions budget which is used for all materials: monographs,
> serials, electronic subscriptions, and media. We maintain separate budgets
> for ILL and Document Delivery, however.
>
> I seem to recall that Kris's research shows that institutions that provide
> separate budget lines for media spend a larger percentage of the budget on
> media acquisitions. But I think ASU West is the exception that proves the
> rule.
>

> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
> Arizona State University West
> P.O. Box 37100
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
> Email: deg@asu.edu
>

> > ----------
> >

> > Topic No. 1
> >
> > Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:30:37 -0800
> > From: "stephen O'Riordan" <soriordan@ucsd.edu>
> > To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
> > Subject: Academic libraries funding question?
> >

> > Group,
> >
> > I am justifying my request for an increase in my base allocation for
> > media. I have received funding info from other institutions (thanks Gary
> > &
> > Kris, among others). Of course, it's never enough information for the
> > collection development group. So, if you are at an academic library and
> > are comfortable with passing on ( off list ) to me what your base
> > allocation is for media. I would be grateful.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> > Stephen O'Riordan
> > Film & Video Library
> > University of Calif. San Diego
> > 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla Ca 92023-0175Q
> > phone: (858) 534-7981
> > fax: (858) 534-0189
> > e-mail: soriordan@ucsd.edu
> > http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/fvl/FVLPAGE.HTM

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405