RE: DiscCheck machines, again

Kathy Newby (Kathy@kokomo.lib.in.us)
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:35:26 -0800 (PST)

I didn't respond the first time because we haven't received our disc check
yet -- I saw a demonstration of the disc check at ALA in Chicago in 2000 --
At the end of 2000, our public library ordered one and they gave a delivery
date of 1/2001 -- Well, here it is November of 2001 and we have a possible
delivery date of December or January -- I had to give them a P.O. to get on
the waiting list to receive one and I have talked to the reps about every
other month since then trying to find out when we would receive ours --

The problem originally seemed to be that when they went into production they
discovered that it would cost more to make the machines than they were
charging for them, so they upped the price -- Then I was told that because
they had so many orders, that they couldn't keep up with the demand -- The
latest that I've been told (11/01) was that there wasn't a problem at all
with the disc check but that the patents didn't go through like they had
planned.

I am still waiting for our machine -- We have the video check and it has
been a very useful item to have -- I'm sure the disc check will be as well,
but I won't know until we get it -- Hope this helps a little -- Kathy M
Newby, Kokomo-Howard County Public Library, Indiana

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucy Lockley [mailto:llockley@mail.win.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 10:40 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: DiscCheck machines, again

I sent this posting out about three (3) weeks back but did not receive any
information. Apparently I am not the only one who would like to know as I
have had e-mails from others on the list wondering about the same
topic. Please respond if you have information and thanks in advance.

This past year my library district has gotten into the purchase of DVDs and
we have also expanded our purchasing of spoken titles (and music) on CD.
Our collection of both is growing rapidly and now we are thinking about
longer term maintenance of these materials.

Does anyone out there on Videolib use any of RTI's DiscCheck machines which
inspect, buffer, clean and polish CDs, DVDs and CD-ROMs? There are three
models according to RTI's web site: the DC-900, the DC-700 and the DC-200.

Does your library/school own one of these machines? How well does it work?
Have you had any problems? Are they worth the expense? Basically, we'd like
to know about the experience of anyone who has one of these machines - good
or bad.

information. If this was an inappropriate question for Videolib then my
apologies in advance.

Thanks.

Lucy M. Lockley Phone: 636/441.2300, Ext. 1563
Collection Development Manager FAX: 636/441.3132
St. Charles City-County Library District
425 Spencer Road
P.O. Box 529 e-mail:
llockley@mail.win.org
St. Peters, MO 63376-0529 Library website:
www.win.org/library

"Demons after money!?! Whatever happened to the still beating heart
of a virgin?! No one has ANY standards anymore!"
Giles, the Librarian ('Buffy, the Vampire Slayer')
___
| \
| \
\\ | /