RE: Need Information!

Vitali, Elaine (EVitali@fanshawec.on.ca)
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:57:59 -0800 (PST)

I'm a great advocate of Collegial networking but I think learning the
basics first, helps in the long run. I would still prefer my students
to access the web sites of hardware distributors and have a look at what
is available and check prices and make their own decisions rather than
having someone else do all the work and tell then which 16mm projector
they are using and the price.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 11:31 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Need Information!

I'm afraid I must disagree, Elaine. I've been in this business for over
quarter century now--in the media bus for a good part of that (I also
taught media librarianship at UCB for ten years). I've found that
collegial networking and the advice of peers are often the most
effective
and timely means of getting the scoop on particular issues and
resources.
I think Don is to be commended for his initiative and creativity in
looking
for answers: it's how the real world generally works these days.

At 07:55 AM 11/02/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Don:
>I teach a Masters Course in Library and Information Science. I would
>expect my students to research those topics for themselves so they
would
>learn who the distributors of media products are. Although we
certainly
>ask each other for assistance on various topics on this list, I think
>your professor probably would prefer you research this information
>yourself as a learning exercise.
>
>Elaine J. Vitali
>Media Services Librarian
>Fanshawe College Library