RE: Where do unused filmstrips go?

Steven C. Matthew (matthew@fau.edu)
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:40:31 -0800 (PST)

Stephen,

Why was it a "a failed attempt?" Were you not able to remove all of your
films and filmstrips?

Steve
_______________
Steven C. Matthew
matthew@fau.edu
S.E. Wimberly Library Media Center

From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of sdavies@MtRoyal.AB.CA
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 10:52 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Where do unused filmstrips go?

A suggestion and a caution:

At Mount Royal College, Calgary, the library made a failed attempt to
streamline all a/v titles to VHS. We deleted a large number of 16mm and
filmstrips from our catalogue, and we cut them up for a local scrap company
that melts them to retrieve the silver.

We did dub some of the titles to VHS if we could still find the rights
holder, and we may or may not have hung on to the original copy. We also
donated films, etc. to various depts. on campus that didn't want to lose
the irreplaceable titles. Consequently, we still supply a/v equipment for
many outmoded formats.

Here's the problem. How do you know if your laserdisc player or your
filmstrip player is working if you didn't keep a spare title to test the
equipment with?

Stephen D
Classroom Services Coordinator
mailto:SDavies@mtroyal.ca

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.