Re: source for Marlowe, Jonson et al

Patrick Walsh (patrick.walsh@films.com)
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:58:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Joan,

Films for the Humanities & Sciences has a 2-part series on Marlowe's
Faust and a BBC production of The Changeling (descriptions of programs
below.) We also have dozens of other titles--videos, DVDs, and CD-ROMs--in
English Literature and Drama. Our web site is www.films.com

Sincerely,
Patrick Walsh
patrick.walsh@films.com

Marlowešs Faust
This two-part series presents an innovative, period interpretation of some
of its most important scenes. 2-part series, 25 minutes each.
#EYA7182 Purchase: $235

Marlowešs Faust, Part 1
This lively performance excerpt from The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus
provides the means to understand and enjoy the classic play as living
literature. As with most of Marlowešs plays, Faust represents a pivotal
change from the medieval outlook of humans at the whim of an unseen hand, to
the Renaissance view of humans in control of their own destiny. This program
clearly shows how, in writing Faust, Marlowe intended to engage the cultural
and religious issues of the 16th century. However, the creative nature of
the performance encourages contemporary interpretations as no printed text
can. (25 minutes, color)
#EYA7183 Purchase: $129 Rental: $75

Marlowešs Faust, Part 2
This is the second of two programs featuring a performance of Christopher
Marlowešs classic The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus. The playšs last
scenes including the magical appearance of Helen of Troy, Faustusš failed
attempt to repent, and his final, tormented soliloquy are presented. We
catch glimpses of Marlowešs classic larger-than-life characters‹all
"over-reachers," who seek to dominate everything around them. In this case,
the ultimate demise of Faustus seems even more tragic when measured against
the dimensions of his ambitions. (25 minutes, color)
#EYA7184 Purchase: $129 Rental: $75

Thomas Middleton and William Rowley: The Changeling
Famed British actor Bob Hoskins gives a triumphant performance in this
Jacobean parody of Shakespeare, written in the 17th century by Elizabethan
playwrights Thomas Middleton and William Rowley. Beatrice (Elizabeth
McGovern) is contracted to marry Alonzo (Peter Darling), but is in love with
Alsemero (Hugh Grant). She hires the deviant DeFlores, played to the hilt by
Hoskins, to kill Alonzo. DeFlores, enamored of Beatrice, is blind to the
terrible price he will pay. Directed by Simon Curtis. A BBC Production. (92
minutes, color)
#EYA7298 Purchase: $149