Re: Technology Planning

Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

$20,000...are you kidding? With that little money you could do little more
than buy a handful of new VCRs and DVD players.

If by upgrading media facilities you mean migrating film and video content
to servers, you can forget it. For one thing, the majority of stuff we own
are under copyright, which means we don't have rights to
digitize. Secondly, the bandwidth requirements for effectively delivering
video are too high to be really practical at this point in a setting such
as ours. Thirdly, even if we had permission and bandwidth, the cost of
storing this much video (over 40,000 hours worth) are wildly prohibitive
(even in these days of fairly cheap memory).

You might contact the Media Center at the University of Maryland--I think
they're doing something with digital delivery of video.

DVD players cost around $150-$250 a shot
VCRs anywhere from 100 to 200
Monitors anywhere from 2-400 dollars
furniture: count on 200-300 for each chair; $2K for each viewing station

Networking and electrical for a mid-sized media center would run into
15-25,000 dollar range, depending on current infrastructure.

Computers with media players (such as DVD-ROM, audio components, etc)
around $3,000 a pop.

At 01:23 PM 10/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Thank you for reading my letter. My name is Don Kim. I would like to ask
>something, Does anyone is planning to upgrade your library system or to
>design
>new system. Because I am very interest about film and Library. I am a student
>in the College of Library and Information Science at the University of South
>Carolina. I am writing to ask for information on a project for class. This
>subject is "Technology Planning." I selected the model, Film Library and
>budget
>is $20.000. So far, I have a few pieces of data, but these materials are not
>enough and not real. I would like to know real information. If you know
>organizations which are providing the planning service or finishing this job
>Please, let me know. I need to know what else needed to plan for Film
>library -
>Server computer, DVD and VHS players, systems, programs, furniture, LAN,
>and so
>on? and how much are these things?
>I hope you can share your experiences, because you are working in relating
>audio and visual information. Sincerely, I hope to work special library like
>you!
>I am looking forward to hearing from you.
>Thank you very much!

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000