Re: Request for Information

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

We also maintain a closed-stack collection. Whenever possible, we have
placed the original boxes on display. Patrons bring us the display boxes,
we give them the material. For items that don't come to us 'hosed and shod'
we try to create display boxes. This allows patrons an opportunity to
physically browse the collection, but we can maintain a semblance of order
and also manage the security aspect. There have been no complaints and many
compliments. There are times when patrons bring us a display only to find
that the item has been checked out, but because of the closed stack
arrangement we are able to offer options and alternatives. Overall, this
system works well for us.