Re: Request for Information (Open Vs. Closed Stacks)

Jerry Notaro (notaro@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu)
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 05:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

Deg Farrelly wrote:

> I would love to hear responses from other academic libraries/media centers
> that maintain open stacks for videos.

Deg,

Well here's another. Not only are our stacks open, they aren't even in the
Media Center. When we moved to a new building I put the circulating media
collection right along side the book collection, though in proximity to the
Media Center. It seems to me that once they are cataloged, classified, and
processed there is no need to treat them other than that. It is less work for
the staff and the more visible the materials are, the more they are used.

Jerry Notaro, Media Librarian
University of South Florida, St. Petersburg