Re: Request for Information

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:40:21 -0700 (PDT)

email gfedak@mtsu.edu

=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hornbeck, Patty <hornbeck@jaguar.middlebury.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 10:02 AM
Subject: Request for Information

> Dear Videolibbers,
> This is an urgent request for information/opinions on open stack v. =
closed
> stack storage of videos in an academic library. If you have pros and =
cons
> that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it.=20
> Patty
> _________________________________
> Patricia Hornbeck
> Middlebury College
> Sunderland Language Center
> Middlebury, VT 05753
>=20
> (802)443-2268 phone
> (802)443-2075 fax
> Email: Hornbeck@middlebury.edu
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C15007.204D1400

We have always used closed stacks for the media = collection in=20 Instructional Media Resources (IMR) at Middle Tennessee State = University.=20 Faculty may check out any format for classroom use; faculty, students, = and staff=20 may check out audio materials for personal use. Most of our materials = are listed=20 in our on-line catalog; reserve materials that do not belong to = IMR are=20 listed manually at the circulation desk. We have 3 viewing rooms and 28 = carrels.=20 Our staff do a good job of helping patrons locate titles they need, = even=20 the students who say, "My teacher sent me to see a film." (No joke) So = far no=20 one has complained about not being able to browse the shelves. Even if = we wanted=20 to convert to open stacks, we do not have the space to do so. Our aisles = are=20 also single-file wide, and I will be looking for ways to expand the = stacks=20 into staff desks before long!
Hope this helps,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media=20 Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN  = 37132
phone  615-898-2740
fax  = 615-898-2530