Re: Beneath the Veil

Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sorry that I don't have the exact information you need, but _Beneath
the Veil_ is definitely about Afghanistan. I saw the filmmaker
interviewed on CNN. When you do a search on the CNN web site, you get
this description:

Saira Shah is a freelance journalist. She was born in Britain, of an
Afghan family. She first visited Afghanistan at age 21 and worked there
three years as a freelance journalist, covering the guerilla war against
the Soviet occupiers. Later, working for Britain's Channel Four News, she
covered some of the world's worst trouble spots.

If you click on the story, it's a chat session transcript from August
27.

-- Kris

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Judie Porter wrote:

> One more question:
> We found Beyond the Veil in the Films for the Humanities catalog and the
> title is 'Beyond the Veil: Are Iranian Women Rebelling." This is 22 minutes
> long and interviews Islamic scholars. Is there another video called 'Beyond
> the Veil: Afghan Women under Fundamentalism' also in Films for the
> Humanities? I'm not finding that.
> Are they the same and cover both countries??
> Was the CNN video definitely Afghanistan? I didn't actually see it, but
> that's what I was told. Thank you for your help so far.
> judith porter
>
> At 09:21 AM 10/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
> > Just a follow-up. I don't think the FFH documentary is the same one
> >that aired on CNN. Beneath the Veil is 60 mins. in length. The FFH
> >program may be good, I don't know. I think we're running out of adverbs
> >to use with "the veil." Francis Poole
> >
> >On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Patrick Walsh wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Judith,
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if this is the same program but the title is very similar so I
> >> thought I would post it. It's available from Films for the Humanities &
> >> Sciences (pricing below.)
> >>
> >> Behind the Veil: Afghan Women under Fundamentalism
> >> For women living in Afghanistan under repressive Taliban rule, beatings,
> >> rape, and enslavement are commonplace occurrences. This gripping program
> >> describes the massive human rights abuses that have been escalating since
> >> the withdrawal of Soviet forces, as seen through the eyes of women who have
> >> survived years of rampant gender and religious intolerance--so far.
> >> Resistance activities carried out by women's groups inside the country are
> >> also documented, as they fight for freedom and democracy. Some content may
> >> be objectionable. (26 minutes, color)
> >> #EYA12113 Video: $129 Rental: $75
> >>

> >> Patrick Walsh
> >> Films for the Humanities & Sciences
> >> patrick.walsh@films.com
> >> www.films.com
> >> 1-800-275-5126

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405