Re: "Sunrise" and "Seventh Heaven" silent movies

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Pat,

if it should be really urgent to get these titles and you are prepared
to accept several drawbacks here are some tips:

Perhaps there is a vague possibility to get "Seventh Heaven" on DVD. In
1998 a DVD with this title was published in Japan. But it's not clear if
it's the silent version (1927) or the Henry King title (1937). You have
to find a retailer in the U.S. that sells DVD imported from Japan (NTSC,
but probably region coded 2 - so you need an all region player). In
Japan foreign films are generally published in the original language
with japanese subtitles. I have got the information from Laser Hotline,
a german retailer
http://www.laserhotline.de/dvdspec.shtml
To know more on this japanese edition you might call them (english
spoken).

"Sunrise" is available from this italian mail order adress
http://shop.videopark.it/cgi-bin/shop/ , but only in VHS/PAL with
italian intertitles: search "Aurora". The english version from TARTAN
VIDEO in the U.K. is no longer available.

They also offer "Seventh Heaven" (1927) under the same conditions
(VHS/PAL, italian intertitles): search "Settimo Cielo".

We have bought both. It sounds strange but we prefer having silent films
even with wrong intertitles if there is no other version available. Some
of our users don't like it (of course), others are glad to get to know a
film they have never seen before.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
http://www.zlb.de/index-e.htm