Re: HELP!

Blaine Waterman (blainew@sfpl.lib.ca.us)
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:33:59 -0700 (PDT)

I would hesitate to establish a strong preference for DVD over VHS at this
juncture. 90% of VHS tapes play without incident, in my experience. A
smudged fingerprint or some dust can make a DVD unplayable. If DVDs are
already outside the comfort zone of some faculty, that drawback could make
them even less comfortable.

Blaine

At 09:38 AM 9/26/01 -0700, you wrote:

>3. Lastly, a policy question...We are considering changing our collection
>policy such that when a choice between DVD and VHS is available, we will
>opt for DVD, including faculty requests. Of course there will be those
>who might complain since they prefer VHS because that is in their comfort
>zone. The complaint I anticipate will be that most faculty who would want
>to preview films at home may only have access to a VCR. Has anyone
>tackled this issue?
>
>All replies are welcome!
>
>Many thanks and apologies for the multiple questions!
>

>Kim
>
>Kimberly Hale, Acquisitions Librarian/Coordinator of Collection Development
>Library, Columbia College Chicago
>624 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605
>(312)344-7355(voice) / (312)344-8062(fax)

Blaine Waterman
Audiovisual Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street SF, CA 94102