Re: academy tapes

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rhonda,

Let me venture to say this: These tapes are for Academy members to look at
before voting. They are not to be loaned, or watched by people other than
the academy members. These tapes are the property of the studio or
copyright holder and their use is intended to be temporary. In the old
days, members would just go to a theatre and watch the shows or films (if
we're talking Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences). So, my guess
is, if you accept the tapes they go into your archives with absolutely
restricted use which you confirm with the Academy but they may also not
allow you to have them. I honestly doubt that you could catalog them and
add them to your collection. In any event, most of them have annoying
screener messages scrolling on them to detract people from using them in
any way but the intended "consideration".

Oksana

At 02:45 PM 8/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>hi you all --
>
>a grad student of ours came by my office today - he is a member of the
>Television Academy here in Los Angeles, and wondered if he could donate 20
>or so copies of tv shows, cable shows, etc. that are sent to the membership
>for "consideration" i.e. consideration for nominating them for emmy awards.
>
>what is the copyright issue on these? anyone got any idea????
>
>thanks,
>Rhonda
>

>Rhonda Rosen
>Media & Reserve Services Dept.
>Charles Von der Ahe Library
>Loyola Marymount University
>One LMU Drive, MS 8206
>Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
>310-338-4584
>email:rrosen@lmu.edu
>
>Media & Reserve web page: http://lib.lmu.edu/mr/
>personal page: http://myweb.lmu.edu/rrosen/

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8