Re: Legal definitions of face-to-face teaching and public performance

Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:06:54 -0700 (PDT)

Jessica is right. It's not all that complicated, but none of the stuff
she says is in the law. And faculty want to stretch the definition of
"instruction" all the time to include film showings that are not for
students enrolled in a course.

The other issue is face-to-face. What about distance education? The
students are enrolled in a course and it's not exactly face-to-face, but
the idea is the same. Not according to the law.

The nuances depend upon what the professor actually wants to do. Which
are the ambiguous terms? -- Kris