Re: Another try re: seeking input about NICEM products

Laura Miller (lum1@psu.edu)
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:55:37 -0700 (PDT)

I concur with Gary's statements, and want to add NICEM is only as
good as the information they get from distributors. There are many
titles listing distributors who are now obsolete, or the title has
been re-contracted with a different distributor.

Even knowing that, I still use them frequently for general research
as at least a starting point.

>In my experience the NICEM database (and it's double, AV-ONLINE) is
>ok for searching for known items, but not particularly useful as a
>general collection building tool--i.e. as means of searching for
>materials by subject. The problem with these (and with most other
>commercial universal media catalogs and databases) is that they
>almost always seem to lag behind video publication universe,and they
>tend to be limited in their coverage of this universe to begin with.
>In other words, if you rely too heavily on NICEM (or Video Source
>Book, or Media Review Digest), you'll be missing a good slug of
>what's out there in the world...
>
>OCLC (FIRSTSEARCH) is often a much better bet for scoping out the
>media terrain, altho there are big problems with that db, too (most
>notably the fact that cataloging often doesn't indicate current
>distributor).
>
>In my experience, nothing can compete with plowing thru individual
>catalogs, web sites, and email notifications for new product, as
>gruelling as this is...
>
>What we really need are sources such as Docseek
>(http://docuseek.com/): portals to multiple catalogs (Docuseek is,
>unfortunately, fairly limited at present, but the idea is a good
>one).
>
>Good luck!
>

>At 12:03 PM 09/04/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hi to all:
>>
>>I had posted a message about NICEM in August but received no replies,
>>perhaps because of recipients being on holidays or perhaps because the
>>message was not well worded.
>>
>>I am hoping to get feedback from anyone who uses NICEM for AV collection
>>development. My colleague and I are fairly new to the area of AV
>>collection development and are trying to find a source that will help us
>>find appropriate distributors of AV on subjects that instructors are
>>wanting us to purchase.
>>
>>Perhaps I should qualify the above by also adding that I would also
>>appreciate knowing of any sources (non NICEM) that you use to locate
>>material for your collections.
>>
>>Thank you for your feedback and any suggestions.
>>
>>Kay Mulcaster
>>Northern Alberta Institute of Technology Library
>>Edmonton, Alberta T5G 2R1
>>kaym@nait.ab.ca
>>Phone: 780 471 8794
>>FAX: 780 471 8813/491-3014
>
>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
>510-643-8566
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu

Laura L. Miller
Media Asset Manager, Penn State Media
The Pennsylvania State University
118 Wagner Building
University Park, PA 16802

PH: 814-865-3333 extension 266
FAX: 814-865-3172
On-Line Catalog: www.mediasales.psu.edu
Video Sales. Broadcast,
Public Performance and Footage Licensing