Re: Another try re: seeking input about NICEM products

Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:22:02 -0700 (PDT)

In my experience the NICEM database (and it's double, AV-ONLINE) is ok for
searching for known items, but not particularly useful as a general
collection building tool--i.e. as means of searching for materials by
subject. The problem with these (and with most other commercial universal
media catalogs and databases) is that they almost always seem to lag behind
video publication universe,and they tend to be limited in their coverage of
this universe to begin with. In other words, if you rely too heavily on
NICEM (or Video Source Book, or Media Review Digest), you'll be missing a
good slug of what's out there in the world...

OCLC (FIRSTSEARCH) is often a much better bet for scoping out the media
terrain, altho there are big problems with that db, too (most notably the
fact that cataloging often doesn't indicate current distributor).

In my experience, nothing can compete with plowing thru individual
catalogs, web sites, and email notifications for new product, as gruelling
as this is...

What we really need are sources such as Docseek
(http://docuseek.com/): portals to multiple catalogs (Docuseek is,
unfortunately, fairly limited at present, but the idea is a good one).

Good luck!

At 12:03 PM 09/04/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi to all:
>
>I had posted a message about NICEM in August but received no replies,
>perhaps because of recipients being on holidays or perhaps because the
>message was not well worded.
>
>I am hoping to get feedback from anyone who uses NICEM for AV collection
>development. My colleague and I are fairly new to the area of AV
>collection development and are trying to find a source that will help us
>find appropriate distributors of AV on subjects that instructors are
>wanting us to purchase.
>
>Perhaps I should qualify the above by also adding that I would also
>appreciate knowing of any sources (non NICEM) that you use to locate
>material for your collections.
>
>Thank you for your feedback and any suggestions.
>
>Kay Mulcaster
>Northern Alberta Institute of Technology Library
>Edmonton, Alberta T5G 2R1
>kaym@nait.ab.ca
>Phone: 780 471 8794
>FAX: 780 471 8813/491-3014