FILMMAKER RELEASED

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

>From: "Ray Privett" <ray@facets.org>
>To: "Ray Privett" <ray@facets.org>
>Subject: FILMMAKER RELEASED
>Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:59:25 -0500
>

>Dear Friends and Colleagues:
>
>Thank you for your outpouring of concern for Ms. Tahmineh Milani, the
Iranian filmmaker detained by her government, in part for the feminist
positions taken in the film The Hidden Half,

>We are relieved to announce that Ms. Milani has been released.
>
>Mohammad Khatami, the reformist President of Iran, personally supported Ms.
Milani's release. Like all domestically produced Iranian films, The Hidden
Half went through intense censorship processes. It was then approved by the
Ministry of Culture, and released to theatres. For the director then to be
arrested for the content of the film seemed, as President Khatami himself
put it at a news conference on Saturday, unfair to say the least.

>For the time being, Ms. Milani has returned to her home. However, she may
still face a trial. We will keep you posted as events develop.

>Thank you again for your concern.
>

>Sincerely,
>

>Milos Stehlik and Ray Privett
>
>Facets Multimedia

The entire FACETS VIDEO CATALOG is online at www.facets.org! Search for
titles, directors, genres, and more from over 35,000 items!
FACETS MULTI-MEDIA, INC.
1517 W. FULLERTON AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60614

www.facets.org