Re: Astitva and 1947: earth

Philip Alan Hallman (phallman@umich.edu)
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:13:52 -0700 (PDT)

Diane,

1947: Earth is better known in the U.S. as simply Earth (director Deepa
Mehta)

Zeitgeist Films is the 16mm distributor (212/274-1989) which would include
public performance rights ; New Yorker Video distributes the home video of
the film. Most likely one of them can sell you a public performance
license for the screening.

You can purchase a dvd copy of Astitva from <Indiaplaza.com> but they are
an on-line seller and would not be able to sell ppr for that title. I
think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a
public performance license for an India film that didn't have a theatrical
release in the U.S. But I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Philip Hallman
Film Librarian
Univ of Michigan