Re: Films, Inc

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

This question seems to come up a lot, and as a one tine employee I'll
throw in my two cents this time:
Films Inc as a distributor of "educational" materials and 16mm film
prints of theatrical features closed up shop some time ago. The 16mm
went to various other distributors (Swank, and now a company called
Cowboy has the Janus titles - see recent emails from Jessica Rosner);
the rights on the educational videos have all reverted to the producers,
and may or may not have been relicensed to other publishers. You will
have to pursue that title by title.
The only active portion of the company is Home Vision, their line of
foreign films and visual arts titles. Their collection of opera and
dance titles no longer exists per se, but most of these have been
rereleased by Kultur. One or two of the old "educational" titles are
still available as home video only from them, such as "The Buried
Mirror", which came up recently on this listserv.
For those of you not on Home Vision's mailing list, they are moving this
weekend, and will reopen after September 3 at:
4423 N. Ravenswood Avenue
Chicago, IL 60640-5802
(773)878-2600; fax (773) 878-8406
www.homevision.com