Re: Library safety video

Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:17:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

FWIW, here's our review of "Be Prepared", which we highly recommended...

Be Prepared: Security And Your Library ***1/2
(1994) 35 min. $130. ALA Video/LVN. PPR. Color cover. Closed captioned.
ISBN: 1-56641-017-7.
"Better safe than sorry," was our old cliché for safety and security. Today,
we'd say it's better to be safe than slowly dismembered and eaten raw.
Jennifer Brown hosts Be Prepared: Security and Your Library, an excellent
tip-filled guide to ensuring that neither you nor your patrons end up being
some wacko's dessert. Combining interviews with security professionals and
librarians, the program looks at eight specific areas: setting policies,
approaching patrons, personal safety, management support (often a major sore
spot), working with law enforcement, strategies for isolated libraries,
security systems for inventory control, and the sticky issue of internal
theft. Whether someone is ripping crossword puzzles out of the daily
newspaper or pointing an Uzi at your nose, library staff need to have a
clear idea of what to do and who should do it. This video won't protect you
from threats to your personal safety or your library's security; it will,
however, help prepare you to effectively handle those threats. Highly
recommended. (R. Pitman)

Best,

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com