Re: Public Domain

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'd also like to add that Canadian copyright law differs from the U.S. law
and so, titles that might be PD in the U.S. may not be in Canada and vice
versa.

Oksana

At 09:20 AM 8/27/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Alas NOTHING is going to be accurate ESPECIALLY for Canada
>Short of hiring someone to do a copyright search on EVERY title, there is
>little you can do and most current "lists" of titles claiming to have PD
>information do not take into account the GATT treaty which RETROACTIVELY
>copyrighted virtually all European films ( not that all rights holders are
>paying attention)
>
>Sorry
>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: Debra Jo Sujka <djsujka@acs.ryerson.ca>
> > Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: Public Domain
> >
> > Is there some place where I can look (book, web, etc.) to find out if a
> > title is in the Public Domain?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Debra Jo
> > --
> > Debra Jo Sujka
> >
> > Ryerson Polytechnic University
> > Library - Technical Services
> > 350 Victoria Street
> > Toronto, Ont.
> > M5B 2K3
> >
> > Phone: 416-979-5000, ext.7349
> > Fax: 416-979-5215
> > E-mail: djsujka@acs.ryerson.ca

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8