Re: French Revolution

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

Howz bout:

Danton (1982) Directed by Wojciech Wajda.

Marat/Sade (1966) Dir. Peter Brook

Tale of Two Cities (various versions available in home video)

Abel Gance's Napoleon has Fr. Rev sequences of great power

D.W. Griffith's Orphans of the Storm (1921) is set in the Revolution
ditto: Scaramouche and the Scarlet Pimpernel

The Western Tradition: The death of the old regime; The French
Revolution (1989)
Program 39: The death of the old regime (28:00). The
French government
begins to collapse as European compare the American
model to their own
systems. Program 40: The French Revolution (24:00). Mob
power pushes
the French Revolution out of control until Napoleon
establishes a new
dictatorship, hierarchy and empire. 52 min (Annenberg
http://www.learner.org/catalog/history/wtseries/)

At 06:11 PM 08/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Videolibbers,
>
>I have two faculty who are looking for either feature films or
>documentaries about the French Revolution. While they have reviewed
>several titles, they are not yet satisfied.
>
>Does anyone have any great suggestions for this picky pair? ("Danton" will
>not do)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Joan Goodwin

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000