Re: The Hollywood Librarian

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:33:48 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ann,

This sounds like a very ambitious project. Since most of the clips you
anticipate using come from Hollywood studio productions you will have to
contact each copyright holder and negotiate. There is no clearinghouse-type
situation. I'm sure you're aware of the expense involved (to the tune of
several thousand dollars per minute used). My advice is to hire someone who
does copyright clearance work initially as a consultant and see where you
go with it.

I hope one of the first things you do in the documentary is to make the
distinction between people who work in a library in various jobs, and
librarians. Just like all people working in a hospital are not doctors, all
people working in a library are not necessarily librarians, even though
that tends to be the general perception. People don't appear to confuse
doctors with hospital support staff, but they do not differentiate between
librarians and library support staff. I wonder what sort of response Jay
Leno would get about what the Librarian of Congress does if he were to ask
people on Melrose Avenue or Universal Studios. Probably that "she" checks
and stamps books out.

Good luck on your project.

Oksana